The average household contains about 62 toxic chemicals!! YIKES!
We are exposed to them routinely — from the phthalates in synthetic fragrances to the toxic fumes in oven cleaners. Ingredients in common household products have been linked to asthma, cancer, reproductive disorders, hormone disruption, and neurotoxicity.
This is one of the primary reasons chronic inflammatory diseases are rising in epidemic proportions.
What you touch, smell, and breath in your home are equally important to what you put IN your body. This is especially true if you have wildly cute little ones who put everything in their mouths and roll around on the floor! Therefore, this winter and all year long, make sure your home is a healthy place for your family and guests by biohacking with healthy, non-toxic cleaning supplies! To do this, start by reading your products' labels and making smart swaps.
Ingredients to avoid:
2-Butoxyethanol (Butyl Cellosolve; Ethylene Glycol, 2-BE): It can be found in glass cleaners, laundry stain removers, carpet cleaners, rust removers, etc. The CDC has a warning stating: “It can harm the eyes, skin, kidneys, and blood.”
Nonylphenol ethoxylated (Nonylphenol (NP) and nonylphenol ethoxylates (NPEs)): It can be found in stain removers, all-purpose cleaners, air-freshers, liquid laundry detergents, and car wash products. Many studies have found this chemical linked to breast cancer cells, and it is a known endocrine disrupter.
If you can’t pronounce it—don’t use it. I could list out hundreds of chemicals. For example, there are actually over 3,000 chemicals that go into fragrances! Therefore, my main rule is that you should be familiar with the ingredients you put in your body and home.
Non-toxic products to use:
- Maid Organic: If you can pronounce and are familiar with the ingredients on the label, then it usually means it has my blessing! This is why I use Maid Organic products like their Abrasive Cleaner because here’s the ingredient list: salt, borax, washing soda, and orange essential oils. Check out my Instagram video with my friend Chelle of Maid Organic about using natural cleaning products to biohack my family’s health!
- Force of Nature: This mighty little appliance uses electricity to convert tap water, plus a capsule of salt, water, and vinegar, into a multi-tasking anti-bacterial cleaner.
- DIY: Creating your own cleaners is a lot easier than you think. It also gives you peace of mind knowing exactly what you are touching, breathing, and wearing in your home.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 10 drops essential oil (I love using lemongrass or lavender)
- 1 cup white distilled vinegar
You will be shocked by how well this combo cleans and thrilled by its safe ingredients!
Stainless Steel Cleaner:
Drop 1 tablespoon of olive oil onto a rag and rub the surface to remove smudges. Use 1 tablespoon of white vinegar on another rag and wipe the surface for shiny happiness!
Too many houseguests and their pets got your carpets smelling icky? Try this combo!
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 5 drops of your favorite essential oil
In a mason jar with a small hole cut out of the top, mix the baking soda and cornstarch together. Next, add 5 drops of essential oils. Sprinkle on your carpet and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Vacuum it up and breathe happily!
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dish soap
- 2 cups water
Mix the ingredients in a spray bottle, shake, and spray on windows, mirrors, and glass.
From food to makeup to cleaning products—you must use a detective’s eye when reading labels! Luckily for us, we live in a time with healthy options—from amazing new companies and the knowledge to DIY all at our fingertips!
P.S. A cup of java with Acid-Kicking Coffee Alkalizer is the perfect way to perk yourself up to clean. It cleans your coffee and body by neutralizing the acids in your coffee that drain your body of the minerals it needs for peak mental and physical performance.
Even more, it also improves your focus, cognition, and metabolism with powerful superfoods and healthy fats!
Cheers to cleaning from the inside out!