The soup will honestly become your go-to, cozy winter comfort meal! It will also transport you to a medieval villa in Tuscany as you sip in the flavors of rustic Italy.\
Loaded with veggies, minerals, fiber, and protein, this soup is the perfect way to ensure your family and house guests get the nutrition they need to stay happy and healthy all winter long!
I would double (or triple!) up this recipe because it stores well in the fridge and makes for a quick, healthy meal.
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks, green parts removed and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 cup savoy cabbage
- (green cabbage), thinly sliced
- 6 cups of vegetable stock (yeast free)
- 1 15-ounce can of white beans, drained and rinsed (I use Eden Organics)
- A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- Salt (Celtic Grey, Himalayan, or Redmond Real Salt) and pepper, to taste
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat, add the leeks, carrots, and fennel and cook until the leeks are soft and slightly browned, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and rosemary and cook for another minute.
- Add the cabbage and sauté another minute.
- Add stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and cook on low for 10 to 15 minutes until the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the parsley and season with sea salt and pepper
Especially for those of you who live in gloomy, cold places, supplementing with Vitamin D (the vitamin of the sun!) is essential to health and happiness.
S.A.D—seasonal affective disorder / “winter depression” is a REAL thing. Our bodies NEED Vitamin D / sunshine to function properly.
But the wintertime blues aren’t something you have to sing—YOU can bring notes of happiness to your days via dropping Acid-Kicking Vitamin D!