If you have teenagers who struggle with acne – or if you continue to struggle with acne yourself well into adulthood – I don’t have to tell you that the conventional treatments out there just aren’t effective at keeping skin clear.
You can slather on all of the chemical treatments and prescription medications you want, but stubborn, persistent acne just won’t go away.
Why? Because those products don’t get down to the ROOT CAUSE – the leaky gut, toxicities, and deficiencies that cause acne in the first place. Until you treat what lies beneath the acne, it will continue to be a problem.
What companies marketing their products to teens don’t want you to know is that their products don’t address the underlying issue, which is inflammation that stems from leaky gut, which is when toxins literally LEAK into your bloodstream from the gut, creating this inflammatory response.
An inflamed and toxic body reveals itself through broken out skin. Whether it’s acne, rosacea, eczema, redness, or psoriasis, the root cause is inflammation, and all of the topical products in the world aren’t going to cure it.
You see, whether you believe it or not, your body is innately intelligent, and it will ALWAYS do what is in your best interest. The skin is the 3rd kidney, the largest detox organ in your body, and no matter what diagnosis the doctors gives you, it’s all ONE cause. Your body, especially the blood, connective tissues, lymphatic system, and liver, are over toxic, and they ate trying like heck to get these toxins out.
And because your 4 normal elimination pathways are overworked (urination, defecation, perspiration, and respiration), your body needs to help. So instead of keeping these toxins trapped INSIDE your body, literally rusting and rotting you, it gets them out your next best option, your skin.
So again, if you or your children are suffering from ANY of the skin issues I listed above, it’s their body’s cry for help, and you need to LISTEN to that, and give the body what it TRULY needs, and that’s NOT a potion or a lotion.
Fortunately, there is a better way, and that’s to treat your skin from the inside out.
What most teens haven’t picked up on yet is that the same foods that nourish the body on the inside also make a body look great on the outside.
By sharing this information with the teens in your life now, you could potentially save them years of frustration about their skin, all while their friends keep asking them, “What’s your secret?”
So let’s get started by talking about the worst foods for skin – foods that make acne worse, increase redness, and lead to more blemishes.
The 6 Worst Foods for Your Skin
- Sugar– Simply put, acne feeds on sugar. Unless you nearly eliminate sugar (only keeping natural fruit sugars in combination with alkaline ingredients), you’ll continue to have inflammation in your skin, the driving force behind acne.
- Milk and other dairy products– Dairy clogs up your digestive system, and if you’re wondering what that has to do with your skin… well, everything. If your digestive system isn’t properly clearing out toxins and hormonal build up, which is especially a problem during adolescence, it stays put or even recirculates in your body. Acne and other skin issues are one of the first ways you’ll notice a backed-up gut.
- Gluten – Gluten is one of the most acidic foods on the planet, and I have news for you – EVERYONE is sensitive to it. Some people just develop more symptoms than others! Just break apart its name and you can see how bad it is…
GLUTEN = GLUE x TEN!
Gluten can account for 33% of the total net acid load in you body, enough to weigh the scale to either side, alkaline or acidic, depending on whether you eat or abstain.
Just like dairy, gluten contains a protein called Zonulin that contributes to leaky gut syndrome and backs up the digestive system in most people, all of which lead to acne.
And a little note on gluten-free foods…there is NO SUCH THING! If it is a grain, it has gluten, despite what the label may say (even if it says gluten-free!)
- Soda and Coffee– Acidic beverages rob your body of B vitamins, magnesium, and zinc, which are essential to your skin’s immune response to combat inflammation.
- Peanuts– Peanuts are carriers for a carcinogenic mold called aflatoxin, and that causes an allergic reaction for many of us (not just those with severe peanut allergies) in our skin through inflammation.
- Junk Foods– Anything processed with gluten, sugar, dairy, and/or trans-fats, which is just about all junk and fast foods, will have an adverse effect on your skin by stimulating oil production, clogging pores, and leading to blemishes.
I recommend anyone suffering from acne cut these 6 food groups out completely for at least 3 weeks and see how the skin starts to respond. The more time you give it, the clearer your skin will be. Then if you add any of the trigger foods back in, do so one at a time and pay attention for a few days to changes in your skin before trying another inflammatory food.
The 6 Best Foods for Your Skin
Now that you know what to avoid, let’s move on to the best foods for clear skin, so you can have the glowing, blemish-free face you want.
It’s also important that you and your teens take quality probiotics everyday. Supporting a healthy gut will help your body deal with inflammation and sweep clean the toxins that are coming out in the forms of problem skin.
- Healthy fats– Flax, chia, and hemp seeds, avocado, salmon, and coconut all contain essential fatty acids that result in more balanced skin, as well as less redness and irritation.
- Raw Almonds– Packed with healing vitamin E, a natural sun blocker and antioxidant, almonds are your skin’s best friends.
- Tomatoes – High in lycopene and vitamins A, C, and K, tomatoes are so effective at preventing and reducing the appearance of acne, some people will tell you to put tomatoes directly on breakouts! I think it’s more effective to eat lots of them, but feel free to give it a try.
- Carrots– Although they are thought of as benefiting the eyes, carrots are loaded with vitamin C, which helps prevent and heal acne, and vitamin A, which fights inflammation and acne-causing bacteria.
- Pumpkin seeds– Pepitas or pumpkin seeds are a great source of zinc, which reduces the production of sebum, a cause of acne.
- Dark, leafy greens– Getting your greens each and every day keeps your digestive system running like a well-oiled machine, cleaning out toxins and hormones that will otherwise build up on your scalp and skin. Chlorophyll is the MOST powerful blood cleanser, and while I listed it as #6, it’s actually #1 as far as effectiveness goes!
A great way to get you or your teen eating more of these foods for clear skin is to start their mornings off with plant-based smoothies that include leafy greens, almond or coconut milk, almond butter, pumpkin seeds, and a sweet fruit to keep it delicious.
Add a scoop of Alkamind Daily Greens to that smoothie or water and you’ll get 5 whole servings of raw super foods in less than 30 seconds!
GET OFF YOUR ACID AND CLEAR UP YOUR SKIN WITH THE HEALTHIEST, 100% ORGANIC, GMO-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE, RAW, DAILY GREEN JUICE POWDER!
We’ve combined wheatgrass, the MOST powerful green on the planet, with moringa, dandelion greens, cabbage, parsley, broccoli, celery, 4 different sprouts, turmeric, kale, spinach, lemon, and so much more (21 of your most alkalizing greens in total)!
So by taking your Alkamind Daily Greens first thing every morning, you’re getting a nutritional powerhouse!
GET OFF YOUR ACID!