As you transition to an alkaline diet, you might feel lost when you walk into the grocery store. Suddenly, everywhere you look, you find acidic ingredients you know you’re supposed to avoid.
But once you know where to look, there’s actually more than enough alkaline foods for you to choose from. I’ve put them together on one complete list (although I’m sure I’m missing a few so feel free to let us know in the comments).
You’re more than welcome to take this with you to the store, on your phone or printed out, so you can get reminders of the abundance of nutrient-packed choices around you.
A few notes before we dive into the list…
Your List, Your Choice – You don’t have to buy all of these foods to get alkaline. Pick and choose your favorites! I’ve included my favorite brands on quite a few of these.
The Alkaline Pantry – You know I often say to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. That’s where the nutritious foods are. Most of the middle is processed junk.
However, you’ll notice quite a few items in the middle of the store on the list below. That’s because they’re staples – you’re not going to need to buy them all that often once you set up your alkaline pantry. That’s why week to week, you’ll do most of your shopping on the perimeter.
Go Organic – in fact, you need to DEMAND organic.
Now, I know organic is more expensive, but it’s worth every extra penny. And if you are on a tight budget, then you will want to follow the “Dirty Dozen” and “Clean Fifteen” guide which will let you know which foods you MUST buy organic, and which ones you have a little wiggle room with (Here’s why choosing organic is important).
And here’s an easy shopping tip I love for knowing what’s really organic and what’s not:
- If a sticker begins with the number 9, it means it’s organic.
Remember: nine is fine.
- If a sticker begins with a number 8, it means that it’s genetically modified. Remember: eight, I hate.
- If the sticker begins with any other number, it means that it was conventionally grown and is neither GMO or organic. Most likely it was grown with herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and synthetic fertilizers.
The Complete Alkaline Shopping List
I’ve included my favorite brands after a colon (:).
- Swiss chard
- Other leafy greens (collards, bok choy, escarole, etc.)
- Green beans
- Yellow squash
- Fresh herbs
- Beets/ beet root
- Snap peas, snow peas
- Red, yellow bell peppers
- Jalapeño peppers
- Sweet potatoes
- Ginger root
- Spaghetti squash
- Green apples
- Bananas and other fruit of your choice for smoothies
Note: The ones in BOLD we use most often – they are staples in my alkaline recipes, and you should always try to have in your kitchen.
Meat and Seafood:
- Wild-caught Alaskan salmon
- Coconut milk: Native Forest Organic, So Delicious
- Coconut water – Harmless Harvest
- Alkaline ice cream: So Delicious Coconut Milk no sugar added ice cream made with monk fruit extract (avoid labels with carrageenan and cane sugar)
- Almond milk: Califia Farms, Silk, So Delicious
- Hemp milk (we make at home, very easy and cost effective)
- Raw almonds: Bremmer Farms (unpasteurized, non-irradiated)
- Raw cashews, pistachios (in moderation because of the ability to mold)
- Walnuts, pine nuts
- Raw almond butter, coconut butter
- Chia, hemp, sesame, pumpkin, and flax seeds
- Vegetable broth (make sure it’s yeast free)
- Canned beans (adzuki, fava, chickpeas, navy, and white): Eden Organics
- Canned artichoke hearts
- Ezekiel Bread: Food for Life Ezekiel 4:9 (available in the freezer section) (they also make Ezekiel tortillas)
- Oatmeal: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Old Fashioned Rolled Oats and Steel Cut Oats – in moderation (Remember, there really is no such thing as “gluten-free”. For example, gluten-free oatmeal is free of the protein gliadin, legally making it gluten-free, but it contains the harmful gluten Avenin)
- Coconut oil (cold pressed)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cacao nibs
- Raw cacao powder
- Maca powder
- Shredded coconut: Bob’s Red Mill (unsweetened)
- Raw nutrition bars: Chia Bar, Vega Protein Bars, Raw Revolution, and Pure Bar
- Apple cider vinegar (in moderation, as there is yeast)
- Soy sauce alternative: Bragg Liquid Aminos, and even better, Coconut Aminos
- Raw coconut nectar: Coconut Secret
- Pure food extracts, like vanilla extract: Medicine Flower (raw and concentrated)
- Salt: Redmond Real Salt, Celtic Grey, Himalayan, Black Hawaiian Sea Salt
- Essential oils: doTERRA, Young Living
- Omega-3 fish oil: Alkamind Daily Omega-3
- Probiotics (refrigerated)
- Dehydrated greens: Alkamind Daily Greens
- Minerals: Alkamind Daily Minerals
- D3: Thorne Research or Innate Choice
I detail everything you need to know about transitioning to the alkaline lifestyle in my new book, Get Off Your Acid: 7 Steps in 7 Days to Lose Weight, Fight Inflammation, and Reclaim Your Health and Energy.
Get your copy today if you’re ready to go from sluggish and in pain to healthy, energetic, and slim.
Check out some of our endorsements below!
“Food can either be a destructive force that leads to epidemic illness and degradation, or…”
“Food can either be a destructive force that leads to epidemic illness and degradation, or it can be a powerful tool that will vastly lower rates of chronic illness, and improve the lives of people everywhere. Get Off Your Acid will help you to make wise choices, so that the food you eat can help to propel you towards the health you deserve. Read it, and put it into action. You’ll be reaping the benefits for the rest of your life.” ~Ocean Robbins, CEO, The Food Revolution Network
“Everything I need to keep me at the top of my game”
“Traveling the world, searching for the biggest waves Mother Nature can offer has led to me needing to be in peak physical, mental and spiritual health at all times. The Get Off Your Acid way of life and alkaline supplements are highly effective and everything I need to keep me at the top of my game. Big thanks to Dr. Daryl Gioffre and Alkamind–I can come home to my family in one piece.” ~Garrett McNamara, Guinness World Record Big Wave Champion
“There is a crisis within the blood and cells of virtually every American of epidemic proportions…”
“…and it is unleashing tragic consequences on millions of lives a year by rapidly accelerating diseases and dysfunction. Heart attacks, dementia, and diabetes will cripple the US economy–and are only increasing each year because of the fundamental nutritional imbalances that health visionary Dr. Daryl Gioffre has uncovered through arduous self study and clinical experience. But just as careful and comprehensive in his approach to learning the root causes of most all major diseases, he brings a highly efficient, effective and refreshing approach that drives true, lifelong change. His tactics against the ACID battle we all find ourselves in as a result of the plethora of toxic options around us, result in lives that flourish–chemically, structurally, and functionally.” ~Daniel T. Johnston, MD, MPH, CEO/Founder, BrainSpan, LLC
“Get Off Your Acid is a must read in today’s toxic world…”
“…My mission in life is spreading the truth about cancer so people can live healthy, cancer-free lives. And this is personal. Both Dr. Daryl and I lost our fathers to cancer. Everyone today suffers from this epidemic in one way or another. So knowing what causes cancer, and what prevents it, could save you or someone you love. This book empowers you to live your best life, and truly prevent all chronic disease including cancer with smart choices.” ~Ty Bollinger, The Truth About Cancer
“We’re able to eat delicious food and be the healthiest versions of ourselves.”
“With obesity rates being what they are, eating clean is a big deal in our house. As parents, it’s important to model healthy eating for our kids and show them what a sensible plate looks like. We feel our best when we’re taking care of ourselves physically, and that’s what Dr. Daryl’s book, Get Off Your Acid, has done for us. We’re able to eat delicious food and be the healthiest versions of ourselves. Thank you, Dr. Daryl!” ~Mario and Courtney Lopez