Blame it on the weather in January, or the shorter, darker days, or the post-holidays slump, but there’s something about this time of year that makes us want to curl up and hibernate for the rest of winter.
But that doesn’t work for my schedule, and I can bet it doesn’t work for yours either! We’ve all got too much to do to sleepwalk through the next couple of months.
You see, being healthy boils down to one word…ENERGY!
So I ask you right now to rate your energy on a scale of 0-10, 10 being UNSTOPPABLE, 0 being a zombie? Be honest with yourself!
Did you know that having less than optimal energy is the first sign of low-grade chronic acidosis, and what do most people rely on to get them through the day? Coffee and sugar!
But the truth is, that acidic morning cup of Joe isn’t doing anyone any favors. While there are some studies showing SOME antioxidant benefits to the body, here is my response to that…
Red wine has antioxidant benefits as well, which derives from the resveratrol in the grapes. But red wine is STILL alcohol, and is loaded with yeast and sugar. So while it may have some antioxidant properties, it is still highly acidic to your body, and coffee is no different.
No matter which way you bend the research, coffee has 35 acids which are all toxic to your body. It is a liver and adrenal suppressor. And if that wasn’t enough for you, try drinking coffee every day for 30 days straight, then stop. How are you going to feel?
Now, try that same experiment with spinach for 30 days and stop – do you think you will have cravings and even an addiction like the coffee will cause?
Coffee creates a rollercoaster effect, where you drink it because you want more energy, and it gives you that for a little while, but then all of that acid is in your system, which makes you more tired. So what do you do? Drink more coffee. And the rollercoaster ride of caffeine highs and lows continues!
Plus, for too many people, coffee causes headaches, jitters, and stomach upset.
And don’t even get me started on sugar! I can’t imagine a less effective way to get energy when you’re tired. Sugar gives you a burst of crappy carbohydrate energy, so you might feel good for a few minutes. But you know what’s coming…
The post-sugar crash hits hard and you are left feeling worse than ever (not to mention feeling guilty about what it will do to your waistline).
So if coffee and sugar don’t give you the energy you need, what does?
There are good ways to get lasting energy without jitters, headaches, or crashes. I’m going to walk through my 10 favorite ways, many of which you can do in under a few minutes, are inexpensive or even free, and will make you feel fantastic!
- Simply Breathe
Breathing is an essential element to life, and yet today we’re using less and less of our lung capacity.
Think about it – when you’re stressed, is your breath deep or shallow? You’d be surprised how often we hold our breath.
I know it seems simple, but breathing is the fastest and most efficient way to detoxify and energize your body. In fact, 70% of the total toxic load inside your body is removed through your lungs.
Not only that, but deep breathing can actually help you lose weight too. Damaging acids and toxins are stored in your fat cells to protect your vital organs. The more toxins stored in your body, the more fat your body needs to hold on to. Once you remove the toxins, your body will be able to release excess weight.
When we are not breathing, we are trapping in the most significant acid in our body, carbon dioxide gas, or CO2. CO2 is 120 times more powerful as an acid than every other acid COMBINED in your body. Now, it may not be as strong as say sulfuric acid that results from wheat and meat metabolism, but it is a much more PERVASIVE acid.
When we are not consciously breathing, we are building up acid. When you build up acid, your body becomes overstressed and inflamed, and has to work so much harder to keep you going, which crushes your energy.
Let me give you an example – imagine it’s a hot summer day, and you have an air conditioner whose filter has NEVER been cleaned. Think about how hard that unit needs to work to keep the room cool. It requires MORE output, and eventually, because it has to work much harder all the time, it can conk out on you. Well, your body is no different!
When it is toxic, the body requires so much more energy to perform everyday functions like eating, walking, talking, etc. And if breathing can remove 70% of the total toxic load, doesn’t this make sense to pay some more attention to?
Breathing is so powerful it can lower blood pressure, slow the heartbeat, energize, relieve stress, and most importantly, change your pH within just 1-3 minutes.
Try my 3:6:5 Power Breath from my book…
- Hydrate & Hydrate Some More
If you saw a plant like this one below, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? DRUGS & SURGERY, right! Just kidding…well sadly enough, that is what most doctors would do first.
Let’s bring it back to common sense – give it water, sunlight, nutrients, and if there are any toxins in the soil, remove them!
Again, your body is no different. You see, there are two things that make you out of balance and sick – TOXICITY and DEFICIENCY. Your body has something in it that it needs to get OUT, and it needs something that you need to get IN. Do that, and if it is not too far gone, just like the plant, you will heal yourself.
It’s a fact that 90% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
The average person loses 2½ to 3 liters of water daily, and that’s from everyday activities like walking, eating, and sleeping. Add exercise into this mix, and you can tack on another liter to that statistic.
To avoid dehydration and not live in deprivation, drink half of your body weight in ounces of water daily. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces of water every day.
How to ALKALIZE & SUPERCHARGE Your Water (and check out my video below, which was my commentary on Dr. Joseph Mercola’s article, “Alkaline Water or Hydrogen Water?”):
- High pH: You are aiming to drink water that has a pH between 8.0-9.5
- Filtered: Tap water is almost always untrustworthy and contains traces of bacteria, heavy metals and other toxins. There are 316 known contaminants in tap water (including PROZAC that came from the urinary discharge from people taking the drug).
- Room Temperature: Ideally, as cold, chilled water is harder for your body to use, and it burns vital energy. But both room temp and cold are fine in my book.
- Avoid Bottled Water. It’s almost always acidic and filled with BPAs, which are a known carcinogen. Use a glass or stainless steel bottle.
- Add lemon or pH drops. These will alkalize your body and will neutralize acids in your system.
- Add Minerals (Daily Minerals is the true way to alkalize your body)
- Add Molecular Hydrogen (H2) – this is the most powerful antioxidant you can out in your body, and is highly anti-inflammatory
- Make Sure You’re Getting Enough Mineral Salts
Your body doesn’t run on calories, proteins, fats, or carbs. Your body is electric and runs on salt. In fact, salt water constitutes 70% of your body (mostly in your bloodstream). Mineral salts are the fastest way to neutralize damaging acids that slow your body down (did you watch my video above? I show you a super cool water experiment proving this!).
This is why it’s crucial you use mineral-rich salts like Himalayan, Celtic Grey, and Redmond Real Salt instead of table salt, which is stripped alkaline minerals.
Mineral salts also boost your energy in a second, indirect way. When used effectively, they give you the best sleep of your life, so you wake up feeling refreshed and energized.
I encourage you to take Alkamind Daily Minerals 30 minutes before going to bed for that very reason. Even within just a few minutes, its sodium bicarbonate – along with calcium, magnesium, and potassium – are absorbed into your blood stream at a 98% absorption rate, which is much higher than most of the mineral supplements you’ll find out there.
More minerals means better rest, less acid, and more energy once you’re awake. The same goes for after a workout – boost your energy by taking Daily Minerals as soon as possible. In fact, I would say our Daily Minerals is the most bio-available form of minerals you will find, and is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health.
- Eat Foods Rich in Magnesium
Approximately 80% of all American adults are deficient in magnesium, a crucial mineral responsible for more than 300 functions in the human body. People who have low magnesium levels report fatigue, mood swings, anxiety, muscle cramping, a slow metabolism, and difficulty sleeping.
Did you know that magnesium is CRITICAL for healthy aging, as it is the #1 Neuroprotector of your brain. It is responsible for 700-800 enzyme reaction in your body, and is responsible for helping your body absorb vitamin D3 and calcium.
By getting plenty of magnesium, both from food and again, from supplementing with Alkamind Daily Minerals, you’re going to have more energy, better rest, stabilized mood and mental health, and a better metabolism, which all contributes to your overall energy level.
Here are the top food sources of magnesium:
- Spinach (1 cup = 49% of the recommended daily value of magnesium!)
- Collard and turnip greens
- Black beans
- Mung beans
- Pumpkin seeds
- Brussels sprouts
- Enjoy Natural Energy Drinks
When you need a real power punch of energy and cleansing vitality, you can't do better than a straight-up green smoothie. Maximize the dark, leafy greens listed above to give you slow-burning energy for hours.
Here are a few recipes to try:
- Tropical Greens Smoothie
- Greens Detox Smoothie
- Almond Butter & “Jelly” Smoothie
- And don’t forget about my Ultimate Green Smoothie Formula you can use to make any smoothie alkaline, nutrient-packed, and energizing.
- Help Out Your Lymphatic System
Since the lymphatic system is in charge of getting rid of acids and toxins, if you are too sedentary, acids begin to accumulate in the body. When acids are not properly removed, it not only drains your energy, but it can also produce common acidic conditions like reflux, acne, psoriasis, and digestive issues, just to name a few.
So how do you make sure your lymphatic system keeps moving? Well, your blood is moved by the pumping mechanism of your heart, but your lymph, which you have 4 times more lymph than you do blood, doesn’t have a heart. It relies on body movement to keep it flowing.
And the best movement for your lymphatic system is rebounding, or trampolining. On studying the benefits of rebounding, NASA found that a 150-pound individual spending one hour on a rebounder will burn more calories than the same person jogging for an hour!
This makes it 68% more efficient than jogging (NASA, Journal of Applied Physiology 49(5): 881-887).
On a rebounder you can actually do more than just run in place. Here are a few different exercises that you can try:
- Warm-Up: Just do small micro-bounces without actually having your feet leave the mat. Do this by engaging your core, then just using the toes and calves to push the mat down.
- Bounce: Keeping your shoulders back, hands down by your sides, and core engaged, begin making bigger bounces.
- Star Jumps: Now you can begin adding in the arms by reaching them up above your head when you jump up, then putting them back down by your sides when you hit the mat. The motion of the arms is similar to a jumping jack.
- Jogging in Place: It looks like what it sounds like. Just gently jog in place on the rebounder.
- Butt Kicks: To add a little oomph to the jogging in place, begin stretching out your quads by trying to touch heel to buttocks when it is coming up from the mat.
- Scissor Jumps: Jump up in the air, then try to cross your ankles by engaging your inner thighs then uncrossing them as you come back down to the mat.
Keep it fun and you’ll feel more energized as a result.
- Minimize These Energy Drainers
Some foods energize you, and other foods suck the energy right out of you. To keep your energy levels high, avoid these foods that deplete your energy:
- Crappy Carbs: Simple carbs found in bread, pastas, cereals, processed foods, and anything with sugar spike your energy along with your blood sugar, but then you come crashing down and are left with less energy than when you started.
- Dairy: Cow’s milk, cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products clog your digestive tract, slowing you down right along with it. To keep your digestion and metabolism moving, minimize dairy products.
- Alcohol: It’s probably no surprise that alcohol makes you sleepy, but did you know that it can actually have a negative effect on the quality of your sleep? If you’re drinking alcohol regularly, it’s probably robbing you of restful sleep, which will mean less energy during the day.
- Coffee and energy drinks: Not only will you inevitably crash from caffeine highs, and have more energy-depleting acid in your body, but these drinks also lead to a higher tolerance for caffeine, which means you’ll need more and more to even give you a temporary energy boost. It’s best to get off this rollercoaster altogether.
- Get Plenty of B Vitamins, Especially B12
Vitamin B12 is known as the energy vitamin for good reason – it helps convert the fats, proteins, and carbohydrates we eat into usable fuel for the body. What’s more, the body cannot store B12, so without getting enough B12 regularly, you’re going to suffer from fatigue.
I was recently a featured expert in the online docu-series LIVE LONGER FEEL BETTER (www.livelongerfeelbetter.com) and in this docu-series, colleague and health expert Dr. Andrew Saul explains how B vitamins are ESSENTIAL in preventing Alzheiemer’s and other forms of dementia.
When it comes to how you feel, all of the B Vitamins aid in your body’s production of energy, so you want to make sure you eat these vitamin B-rich alkaline foods:
- Sardines (high in B12)
- Mackerel (high in B12)
- Wild-caught salmon (high in B12)
- Chia seeds (high in B1, B2, B3, and B7)
- Pine nuts (high in B1)
- Macadamia nuts (high in B1)
- Beans (high in B1, B6, and B9)
- Almonds (high in B1, B2, B6, and B7)
- Hemp seeds (high in B1 and B6)
- Lentils (high in B9)
- Walnuts (high in B9)
- Flax (high in B9)
- Enjoy Energizing Essential Oils
There are several essential oils that will energize you, improve your focus, and revitalize your mood. Add them to a diffuser, your morning shower, or dab a drop on your wrists for an immediate pick-me-up.
- Peppermint oil is stimulating and helps alleviate headaches
- Citrus oils like grapefruit, lemon, and sweet orange are energizing
- Evergreen oils like cypress and cedar are refreshing
- Eucalyptus oil stimulates the mind
- Start Your Day With Chlorophyll-Rich Alkaline Green Drinks
Drinking 5 servings of alkaline greens like Alkamind Daily Greens in water is the very first thing you should do EVERY morning when you wake up. There is no better way to energize and kick-start your day.
A recent US government survey found that out of 21,000 people surveyed, NONE (0%) ate the recommended daily average of basic nutrients.
It’s not that no one eats their vegetables (although for too many, that is the case), it’s that the sorry state of our produce leaves us having to eat an impossible amount to absorb enough nutrients. So it’s not easy to get the nutrition we need even when we try.
That’s why it now takes 60 servings of spinach to get the same amount of iron as just one serving in 1948! Since 1950, the calcium in spinach has dropped from 130mg to 48mg. That’s crazy!
This is WHY supplementation has become a necessity, and by starting every morning with an alkaline green juice, you’re going to give yourself a natural energy boost that will last all day (no crashes, no jitters).
”That’s why reviewers say…
“Gives me more energy and helps me to transition to a cleaner lifestyle. Lifetime purchaser here.
“It tastes good & I have noticed my energy has stabilized. No afternoon dips. Also, my added sugar craving has waned. I use to eat chocolate & cake almost daily. Especially around that 3PM slump but since I started drinking this I've found myself not really craving sweets. I would call it a miracle!” –Chakriya L.
“Killed my sugar and caffeine cravings in a flash. Love the taste! And I feel like my skin looks amazing.” –Keri S.
What are you waiting for? Get your Alkamind Daily Greens today!