This recipe comes from one of my favorite meals from a family vacation at COMO Parrot Cay resort in Turks and Caicos! It’s a vegan soup that is bursting with flavor and health.
If you long for an island vacation on a bitterly cold winter's day, this soup will take you to a warm island paradise. I'd also double up this recipe, as it will be gobbled up quickly!
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and shaved (e.g., with a mandoline)
- Sea salt
- 3 zucchini, seeded and diced
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves or zucchini ribbons, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Then, add the onion, garlic, and fennel, season to taste with sea salt, and cook for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables appear soft and translucent.
- Next, add the zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then add the apples and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a blender, and puree until a smooth, creamy consistency is reached (this may need to be done in two batches; use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Garnish with basil leaves or zucchini ribbons, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil.
If you are not getting a healthy amount of warm sunshine on your skin each day, supplementing with Acid-Kicking Vitamin D3+K2 (the sun’s vitamin) is absolutely critical to preventing wintertime physical illnesses and seasonal depression.
Learn all about supplementing your health and happiness this winter HERE!