The week of May 9th is National Women's Health Week! But every day, the Alkamind team is brusselin' for women's health! Okay, I had to use that pun, but really, we are always hustling to optimize health for all types of women!
While the alkaline diet is all about prevention and feeling powered up, it also has a special place in its healthy heart for women. This is because heart disease is tragically the LEADING cause of death, specifically in women. The CDC reports that about 1 in 5 female deaths are due to heart disease.
That fact is literally heartbreaking to hear because it is preventable! A primary culprit is how you feed your heart. Eating brussels sprouts is a MUST in every women’s food plan because they are rich in alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and convert into Omega-3s. These nutrients have been proven to improve cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure and prevent heart disease.
It is also vital not to miss a beat regarding your heart health. Women can experience heart attacks in a drastically different way compared to men. Please do your research and talk to your doctor about how to notice—and not ignore—heart attack signs in you and your female friends and family.
Ingredients: Serves 4…double to make more—you won’t regret it!
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed, ends removed, and halved
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper and sea salt (Celtic Grey, Himalayan pink, or Redmond Real Salt)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, toss the sprouts with garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Spread onto a baking sheet and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, then toss around.
- Bake for another 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and enjoy!
Acid Kicking-Greens are a perfect way to also pump up your heart health! These premium, organic greens lower your risks of heart disease, flow in vitamin K and nitrates that reduce your blood pressure, improve the function of cells lining your blood vessels, and decrease arterial stiffness.
Garlic Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts Nutrient Totals:
Dietary Fiber: 5g
Total Sugars: 3g
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Net Carbs: 10 g