As you know, I’m all about health hacks! I’m also a dad, so snacks are essential to keeping everyone from being hAngry!
Today, I’m opening the vault filled with my top hacks and snacks—take notes. Heck, print this off and put it on your fridge!
Dr. Daryl’s Quick & Powerful Health Hacks
Cheers to your health with these shots!
Belly Fat Burning Shot
This shot cleanses the liver and gall bladder, which will help you lose weight, especially in the belly area.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ organic lemon
Mix ingredients together and drink on an empty stomach whenever the craving monster shows itself. Or better yet, drink in the morning to anticipate and prevent cravings.
Sugar Craving Shot
The science behind your sugar cravings: Ceylon cinnamon regulates blood sugar, and apple cider vinegar can improve insulin function and insulin resistance and reduce fasting blood sugar and HbA1c levels.
- 1 tablespoon ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Ceylon preferred over Cassia)
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt (Celtic, Himalayan, or Redmond Real Salt)
- 1 lemon slice
- Add the desired amount of water to dilute
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a few ounces of filtered water. Drink it as a shot at any time of the day to ward off cravings. Fight sugar cravings at the source!
Cold Thermogenesis Shower
Aside from eating a low-carb meal after your workout, the best way to keep your fat-burning engine stoked is to immerse yourself in cold water. You can do this either in the shower or jumping into a cold pool or bath—for 2-5 minutes. Do breath work, pump up the jams, listen to a motivating podcast, literally Netflix and “chill”—do whatever you need to do.
Your body burns more calories when it’s cold in an attempt to generate body heat and maintain a healthy core temperature. As your body temperature dips slightly, you enter a phase called “nonshivering thermogenesis,” during which you increase your calorie and fat-burning capabilities. Cold water also provides amazing mental health benefits. Dive into all the health benefits from the main cold water therapy man—Wim Hof.
Processed and sugary snacks will decrease your energy, make you crave more sugar, and fill your body with acid! Instead, make the switch to these Dr. Daryl-approved snacking ideas:
- Mix it up—make your own trail mix! Macadamia nuts, raw almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, goji berries, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. Make a HUGE bag, and from that, make a bunch of smaller zip lock bags to use daily.
- Wrap up your hunger with lettuce wraps. Sliced avocado, sprouts or microgreens, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, hummus or guacamole, fresh lemon or lime juice, hemp seeds, sliced red peppers, etc. Use any or all of the ingredients in this list—get creative and try new combos!
- Get on board—the celery boat! Celery stick with raw nut butter and hemp seeds.
- Afternoon “pie”—Green Apples with raw almond butter and cinnamon.
- Egg-cellent protein popper! Free-range, organic hard-boiled eggs with sea salt and/or any other spice you desire.
Smoothies also make excellent energy-boosting snacks! Here’s one of my favorites for burning fat:
- 4 ounces of full-fat coconut or almond milk
- 4 ounces of filtered water
1 big handful of spinach and/or sprouts (i.e. broccoli, alfalfa)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw nut butter
- 1 scoop Acid-Kicking Greens
- 1 scoop of Acid-Kicking Plant-Based Protein Powder
Craving some more hacks? Please follow my Instagram page for daily insights, tips, encouragement, and hacks!